Monday, May 25, 2009

DIY Glimmer Mist

Just finished this LO for the DIY Die Cutting Class at 2Peas. I posted it and saw that the Week 4 challenge is already up. That's weird because I don't see it posted in the Education Forum yet.

I decided to try and make my own glimmer mist. I picked up some spray bottles at Walmart and made three colors. I collect fountain pens and ink and had used some Parker Quink in Black in a mini-mister on this project awhile back. The chipboard is from Walmart's Best Occasions line. I found two recipes online. One used hairspray and the other used gum arabic as the sealant/fixative. That recipe said you could use Mod Podge (MP) in place of the gum arabic. I had MP so I just used that. PU! That stuff stinks! I also picked up some Wet n Wild Mega Shimmer from CVS. I already had a silvery colored one so I got one in gold. I used Private Reserve (PR) fountain pen ink in Fiesta Red, a bit of MP, some water and then some of the gold shimmer for the word 'afternoon'. I used PR in Midnight Blues, hairspray, some water and silver shimmer for the word 'delight'. I also made a batch using PR Avacado (yes it is spelled just like that) with the hairspray and not the MP, but I haven't tried that yet. So far I'm not sure which version I like. The MP stinks and dilutes the color (because it's white), but the hairspray version takes longer to dry. With either recipe I am certain that I added too much water. The Midnight Blues should be a very dark navy blue. I will have to continue to experiment with different recipes. Trust me. I have plenty of ink to go around.

0 comments: